• 125g of butter
• 2 egg yolks
• 1.5 tsp of white wine vinegar
• a pinch of salt
• ice cold water – as needed
• 1.5 tsps of lemon juice
• cayenne pepper – just a little!
How to make hollandaise sauce:
1. Melt the butter in a pan, taking off the white solids/ foam that forms on the top as you go. Keep this warm while you prepare the eggs!
2. Put 2 egg yolks, 1/2 tsp of white wine vinegar, a pinch of salt and a little water in a glass bowl that will fit over a small pan. Whisk for a couple of minutes, and put over a pan of gently simmering water. Whisk until it thickens and looks pale, approx. 3-5 mins.
3. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the butter, little by little, until it’s finished. If needed, add a splash of water to achieve the right consistency. Add 1.5tsps of lemon juice and a sprinkle of cayenne pepper.